PIAA District IV Baseball Post-Season Info
The District IV Baseball playoffs for the spring, 2023 season will use the same power ranking system as the fall and winter sport season, to determine the seeds for the respective tournaments. Athletic Directors will have to enter their complete schedules into the Gimp Software, then by 12:00 noon the following day, enter the results of each game into the system. We have enclosed a copy of the rules as developed by the District IV Committee for the post season.
Any questions that you may have regarding the tournaments or the rules/regulations can be directed to Sean McCann at Williamsport Area High School.
Games must be played by Wednesday, May 17, 2023 to qualify for the play-offs during the 2023 District tournament. Play-offs will start on Saturday, May 20, 2023. Please make sure all coaches are made aware of all rules and regulations, especially the baseball pitch count rules.
Thank you for your help and support in this endeavor.
2990 West Fourth St.
Williamsport, PA 17701
Home: (570) 320-0914
Office: (570) 323-8411, ext. 60507
Cell: (570) 220-8024
Fax: (570) 322-4150
District IV Baseball Playoff Rules and Regulations
- There shall be six (6) classes of competition open to all member schools in good standing in the PIAA, based on the power ranking system. To qualify for the tournament, a minimum of 11 games must be played for the season through Wednesday, May 17, 2023. All games played through the deadline will count toward seeding and qualifying for the playoffs.
- Only PIAA approved officials will be used as umpires in all games. The Officials' Representatives of the District IV Committee shall assign the umpires for all games. There will be two umpires for preliminary and quarterfinal games and four umpires for semi-final and final games. (District IV will pay for all officials.)
- The admission price to the semi-final and final games will be $6.00 per person plus service fees through Hometown Ticketing. There will be no charge for preliminary games. Preliminary and Quarterfinal round games will be played on the home field of the higher seeded team.
- The fields for the District Semi-Final and Championship games for baseball will be determined based on feasibility and logistics with the teams and dates for games. The Championship games will be scheduled at Bowman Field in Williamsport.
- Game managers will be assigned to each game and have overall responsibility for the game. The Baseball Chairperson of District IV will have complete charge of the championship games.
- The District Committee will be responsible for all finances in the baseball tournaments.
- The seeding for the District IV baseball tournaments will be done by the District IV power ranking system as adopted in August 2018 by the committee. The tiebreaker process is as listed in the District IV Power Rating information as approved by the District IV Committee. The lowest .500 team in each classification and all teams listed above that team in the power rankings will qualify for the district tournaments in each classification.
- If only one team in a classification qualifies with a .500 winning percentage, the 2nd ranked team in that classification will qualify for the Championship game in that classification regardless of record.
- The higher seeded team will always be the home team.
- Dates and Times for games will be determined by the number of teams qualifying in each classification.
- Balls used for baseball playoff games will be provided by Spalding. The make of the baseball is Spalding Pro NFHS and will be provided by District IV.
- In order to keep the loss of balls to a minimum, each school should bring two (2) ball chasers to the Semifinal and final games to help with the process.
- State playoff dates are June 5-16, 2023. Baseball will be held at the Medlar Field at Lubrano Park, Pennsylvania State University on Thursday & Friday, June 15-16, 2023.
- District IV baseball will have:
- one A team
- two 2A team
- one 3A teams
- two 4A team (runner up has play-in game vs District II)
- Teams in 5A & 6A will combine with District II for a Sub-Regional Tournament held in District II.
- District IV baseball will have: