PIAA District IV Boys Tennis Post-Season Info
You will find the changes for the District IV Tennis tournaments on the following pages. Please make sure your coaches are aware. The entry forms are in the other attachment (team, singles, doubles).
Both the singles and doubles tournament will be at Williamsport High School for the Saturday's starting at 9:00 a.m. The semi-finals for singles and doubles will start at 2:00 p.m. and be played at Central Pa Tennis Center (indoors).
If you want to enter the team tournament, your entry papers must be in on April 29, 2023. The team tournament will start on May 2, 2023 with preliminary rounds if needed. Quarterfinals, on Thursday, May 4 (rain date May 5). Semi-Finals on Tuesday, May 9 and finals on Thursday, May 11. Brackets will be set and teams notified on April 30.
Singles entry should be emailed by Monday, May 1, 2023, and the seeding meeting will be on Wednesday, May 3, 2023 at 7:30 p.m. The doubles entry should be emailed by Monday, May 8, 2023, and the seeding meeting will be on Wednesday, May 10, 2023 at 7:30 p.m.
34 Old Mill Rd.
Liberty, PA 16930
Home: (570) 324-6342
Fax: (570) 772-8290
Rules for District IV team tennis
To be Eligible for the tournament a team must schedule at least 50% of the number of matches that can be played. That is a max of 18 matches, so you need to have 9 matches, league play-off do not count. You must have a .500% winning percentage. That includes all matches, not just league play. Matches after the team deadline do not count towards seeding percentage. Teams must notify the District Tennis chairman by the dates set to be eligible. Teams that do not notify will not be entered into the team tournament. Matches played on days after the paper work has been sent, must be emailed or called into the District chairman as followed. All Preliminary and Quarterfinal matches will be played at the higher seed's courts. Home team is responsible for supplying balls.
Teams must first qualify, then will be seeded on the power rating system that District IV has adopted. All matches count except league play-off. If two teams have the same power rating, the first tie breaker will be head to head play. The winner of the head to head match will be seeded higher. If they did not play, or split, the second tie breaker will be the team with the most matches. If they both have the same number of matches, then we will have a coin flip. All teams entered will be seeded in order. If there are more than 8 team, there will be a preliminary round. These preliminary matches will be played on Thursday, May 4, 2023 at the higher seed's home courts. The quarterfinals will also be played at the higher seed's courts on Tuesday, May 9, 2023. The semi-finals and finals will be played on Thursday, May 11, 2023 at Williamsport and South Williamsport courts.
The format will be as the state tournament, 3-2. That is 3 singles and 2 doubles no repeat. A team ladder must be sent in with your entry form (include any injured player in your line-up, so that if they get better, that they may be put back into the line-up where they belong). You will play to the first team to 3 points. The rest of the players will finish the game they are on, and then will be pulled. Make sure of the scores of the pulled matches are reported with the other scores.
The singles tournament will be as in the past. This year each school will get one (1) entry (this should be your #1 player). You may enter a 2nd player (only your #2 player on your ladder) if they have a 50% or better winning percentage record. To see what their percent is, you take their wins / total matches played. Example: a player with a 15-3 record would be 15 divided by 18 (15 wins, 18 total matches) and get .83333 or 83.3%. Also, if there are extenuating circumstances, the District Chairman will make the decision for a #3 player (like a few years back when we had a district champ as the #2 player on a team).
Seeding for the District Tennis Singles Tournaments
The first priority is to make sure players from the same team are in different brackets (top or bottom). If one player is seeded in the top then the other will be placed in the bottom as close to where they should be seeded. Same if they are seeded in the bottom the other player will be placed in the top. To determine the seeds the following point system will be used.
The points will be divide into three areas, wins/lose, prestige points (where you finished last year), and competition points (defeating a prestige player). First points for winning a match, 4 points for defeating a number one player, 2 points for defeating a number two player and 1 point for defeating a number three player. Second, bonus points for moving on or placing in last year's tournament. 18 points for being district champion, 15 points for being the runner-up, 12 points if you lose in the semi-finals, 6 points if you lose in the quarterfinals, and 3 points if you lose in the second round. Third, bonus points for defeating a player that advanced in last year's tournament. If you defeat the district champion, add 10, the runner-up, add 8, a semi-finalists, add 6, a player that reached the quarter finals, add 4, and a player that reached the second round add 2.
Add up the three areas and get your total points. We will seed the top 8 players by points. If we need preliminary matches to get down to 32 entries, they will be the lowest point totals. As many pairs of players to make the brackets work. The rest of the players will be filled in by a random draw. The top bracket will be filled in from the top down, and the bottom bracket from the bottom up. Again, players from the same team will be placed in opposite brackets. If we have an individual that their school does not have a team and does not have a record, they will be seeded by the District Tennis committee. The District chairman may make adjustments if need be.
Format for the Singles and Doubles Tournament
- Preliminary matches (if necessary) will play a 10 game Pro Set with regular scoring, and regular tiebreaker at 10 games each.
- All five (5) rounds will play regular scoring and the best 2 of 3 sets (regular tiebreaker).
- Coaching will be allowed between sets only.
- All participants in the tournament are required to wear appropriate tennis attire during competition (i.e. tennis shirt with collar and tennis shorts or skirt). T-shirts, altered apparel, jeans and advertisements (other than 2¼ “ X 2¼” manufacturer's logo and/or the school’s nickname) will not be permitted. School-issued caps and caps without advertisements, without college logos and/without other logos will be permitted. CAPS WITH TAPE OVER THE LOGO WILL NOT BE PERMITTED. If baseball caps are worn, the visor must be in front. School issued team t-shirts are allowed.
- Coaches are directly responsible for the conduct/sportsmanship of their players.
- There will be 30 minutes allowed between matches starting with the first round.
- If your doubles players are to be different from those sent in on your original seeding form, new names must be submitted by the start of the doubles seeding meeting. If the correct names are not available, the team will not be allowed to participate. This is being done to be fair to everyone in the seeding process.
- There will be a coaches' committee to settle any disputes and/or make any rules interpretations.
- We will play to the semi-finals on the first day.
- Only the player's coach may speak to her/him in between sets.